7 Reasons Why You Should Study in California
Want to study abroad but not sure of the right destination? Here are 7 reasons why California is a great choice!
When you think of California, you automatically imagine sun-soaked beaches, beautiful landscapes and the sound of the ocean. But there’s so much more to this incredible state. Not the least of which is the public university system, which is one of the best in the world! So, if you’re considering studying abroad, California is a great option. Still not convinced? Here’s 7 good reasons why you should consider it.
- Top quality public schools
If you’re looking for a top-quality education without the ivy league price tag, then California has some incredible public school options within their university system, making it a popular choice for international students looking to study abroad. With 10 different campuses to choose from, there are also plenty of options available!
2. Multi-cultural experience
With a wonderfully diverse cultural heritage and history, California is one of the most exciting states in America, making it a great place for international students to explore and experience! Plus, there are loads of interesting and tasty foods to try!
3. Technology leaders
California is home to the infamous Silicon Valley, which serves as a base for some of the world’s most pioneering technology and innovation companies. If you’re interested in these fields, you’ll be in good company with HQ’s of the likes of Google, Apple, Facebook, Adobe and Netflix. This also means there are plenty of valuable networking opportunities, where you can rub shoulders with some of the greatest tech minds on the planet!
4. Study sustainability
Interested in renewable energy or environmental science? Then studying in California is a great place to start! The state is one of the most forward thinking and progressive when it comes to green initiatives and sustainable practises, which is mirrored in the great courses on offer in this field.
5. Sunny days to explore
Escape the winter and study somewhere that has a summer vacation feeling all year round! This means you’ll have more freedom to explore your surroundings and make the most of your time abroad. Studying in California also means that you’ll have an array of incredible sights and natural wonders on your doorstep, such as the beautiful Yosemite and Sequoia National Parks, the Mojave Desert and iconic architecture such as the Golden Gate Bridge. Take a road trip on the famous Pacific Coast highway through Big Sur, or jump onto route 66 for the experience of a lifetime.
6. Get creative
Whether your preferred medium is art, drama, music or film, California is an ideal destination for international students focused on the creatives arts. Known as the world capital for the entertainment and film industry, where better to get a head start in this exclusive industry? With the headquarters of Disney, Warner Brothers, Columbia Pictures, MGM Studios, you’ll be in great company!
Perhaps it’s due to all the sunshine, but many California schools have excellent college sports teams and great opportunities for sporting scholarships. So, if sports are high on your list of priorities, then California should be high on your list of destinations to consider. For those who prefer to watch from the sidelines, the state also has more professional sports franchises than any other, making it a great place to catch a few games!
Where To Study In California
So now that you’re itching to put in your applications to some California schools, we’ve put together a few great options to help you on your way:
- San Jose State University – This public university is nestled in the heart of Silicon Valley and has an excellent reputation. So, if you fancy being neighbours with tech powerhouses like Facebook and Google, this is the school for you!
- California Baptist University – With fantastic facilities and endless options for recreational activity, this university is a firm favourite for students who want to be close to Los Angeles, but in a quieter neighbourhood. If you’re looking to study in the medical field, this university also has a great reputation for health-related majors.
- University of La Verne – This private and nationally recognised liberal arts university is very engaged in the local community, allowing students the opportunity to experience personal growth in the classroom as well as out of it.
- Westcliff University – Situated in Irvine, only a short distance from Downtown LA, this great university is a popular option for international students, as its tuition fees are very competitive.
- Mills College – This college is just a few miles from the Bay Bridge in San Francisco, and offers top-quality education for women. If you’re interested in a single-sex undergraduate experience, this one’s for you!
Get started on your dream to study in California, click here to see all the schools you can apply to!
About the Author: Tessa Cunliffe, a South African based digital copywriter and marketer, with a passion for travel and learning. Yoga-inspired and coffee-fuelled. Always planning the next adventure.